Thursday, April 23, 2009

Translations

My initial thoughts when I began to read translations is to compare it to the most recent play I've read. Translations and Othello are worlds apart, almost literally.

Anyway, my first reaction was that this play had detailed directions, whereas Othello (as a Shakespeare play) has none. Translations tells the age, the setting, and personality of people before a scene even begins. Part of me finds this helpful and part of me finds it frustrating. I like being able to interpret and use my imagination as I go.

A part that is similar for me in comparing Othello and and Translations is that both seem to contain a certain amount of language I don't understand. Granted that at least the parts of Translations I don't understand is in another language, but reading these parts makes just as much sense to me as Shakespeare does.

No comments:

Post a Comment