Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beliefs and Knowledge

I found our in class discussion about the differences and similarities between belief and knowledge very interesting. This is something I've been asked to think about before and I've know how fine the line is between the two, but I still think there is a definite distinction. I think of them in a Venn diagram, as two circles that overlap on certain subjects. I don't think they can totally be pulled apart or pushed together.
To me knowledge is something that can be proved. Beliefs are something you want to prove but can't. When I say prove I mean back up with some sort of hard evidence. Have a photograph, historical evidence, scientific evidence, etc. These are things I consider to be proof and the more evidence a belief has to back it up, the closer it comes to becoming knowledge.
There are some beliefs that will never be considered knowledge. I know this and accept it. I know that there are some things people refuse to believe are true even with the evidence sitting in front of them. This is where beliefs and knowledge get fuzzy.
Both knowledge and beliefs have to be believed to exist. If people can't accept that other individuals have different beliefs that they think are just as valid as there own, they won't ever be able to accept it what they believe ends up being proven wrong. If people can;t believe in the possibility of beliefs besides there own, how will they accept it when it becomes knowledge? I guess some people never do.

1 comment:

  1. I found this discussion in class to be interesting too- especially because i never really put much thought into it. I did notice it while i was reading since she talks about it alot but i am glad we had the talk so i can think about it on my own more.

    ReplyDelete