Saturday, May 2, 2009

Translations- Langauge

I really liked the discussion we had about "language [being] a barrier to modern progress". I have found that of the topics we have discussed throughout this course, the ones that interest me the most are the ones I feel the strongest about.

I feel that language is so unique and beautiful that to call it a barrier between the old and the new is ignorant. I think that language is a link between past and present. The differences between the many forms of language is something we should hold onto; not something we should try to eliminate.

To me, the people who call language a barrier in this way (with the intention of trying to fix the problem by causing other languages to become extinct) have no idea what they would be giving up. I feel very strongly that people should learn more languages, not adhere to one.

1 comment:

  1. hey Amanda!!! you're last blog!!! :( haha...

    I totally agree...I'm from a small town where nearly everyone is, dare I say it, ignorant in their ways...you won't be able to change them...and according to them, if you're here, you speak what we speak, and if we go there, you speak what we speak because it is a global language...it's so ignorant and childish that I get so frustrated....

    ReplyDelete