Monday, March 2, 2009

I have seen the movie "O" before. I didn't like it the first time I saw it. I thought I would appreciate it more now that I know it is based off of the Shakespeare play "Othello", but I dislike it even more. I know Shakespeare is supposed to be timeless, but for me it isn't. I picture everything Shakespearean in a much older time period than our own (the time when I picture it being written). I guess this version makes it too real for me. I already find the version of Othello I picture in my head frustrating, this more modern version just makes me angry. I don’t know exactly why this more modern version makes me feel more strongly about Iago and Othello. I just don’t like to relate such manipulation and deceit to my own time. It makes me uncomfortable, even if it isn’t real.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love for you to raise this point in class today, about your resistance to film--either b/c it seems to suggest a universality or b/c it makes the issues all the more real and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete